Saturday, November 8, 2014

New Majority Will Continue Focus on Jobs & the Economy | Speaker.gov

New Majority Will Continue Focus on Jobs & the Economy | Speaker.gov






WASHINGTON, DC – At a press briefing today, House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) discussed House Republicans’ continuing focus on Americans’ top priorities, and urged President Obama to work with the new Congress on solutions to help strengthen the economy and help middle class families.  Following are Boehner’s remarks:
“I’m going to start by congratulating my friend Senator Mitch McConnell.  As you know, Mitch and I have worked very closely together over the last eight years and I don’t think I could ask for a better partner, or do I think the Senate could have a better Majority Leader than Mitch McConnell. 
 “I also want to express my gratitude to the people of Ohio’s Eighth Congressional District.  You know, my mission is the same today as it was in 1990 when I was first elected: to build a smaller, less costly, and more accountable government here in Washington, DC.  And right now I believe that means continuing to listen, to make the American people’s priorities our priorities, and to confront the big challenges that face middle-class families, starting with the economy.
“You’ve heard me talk many times about the many jobs bills that the outgoing Senate majority has ignored.  Those bills will offer the Congress, I think, a new start.  We can act on the Keystone pipeline, restore the 40-hour work week that was gutted by ObamaCare, and pass the Hire More Heroes Act that would encourage our businesses to hire more of our veterans. 
“And again, this is just a start.  I’ve been going around the country outlining my own personal vision for how we can reset America’s economic foundation.  The energy boom that’s going on in America is real, and I think it provides us with a very big opportunity.  But to maximize that opportunity, I believe that we need to do five things and that is:
  • Fix our broken tax code; 
  • Address the debt that’s hurting our economy and imprisoning the future of our kids and grandkids; 
  • Reform our legal system; 
  • Reshape our regulatory policy to make bureaucrats more accountable, and; 
  • Give parents more choices in a system that isn’t educating enough of America’s children.
“Now, finding common ground is going to be hard work – but it will be even harder if the president isn’t willing to work with us.  Yesterday, we heard him say that he may double down on his go-it-alone approach.  Listen I’ve told the president before, he needs to put politics aside and rebuild trust – and rebuilding trust not only with the American people, but with the American people’s representatives here in the United States Congress. 
“This is the best way to deliver solutions to get the economy going again and to keep the American Dream alive and well.  This will be the focus of our new majority, and I’m eager to get to work.”
- See more at: http://www.speaker.gov/video/new-majority-will-continue-focus-jobs-economy#sthash.IXsti1Gf.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment